Saturday, January 07, 2006

Taking a Stand on Banned Books, Part 5

In a continuation of my attempts to determine whether the FBI is monitoring the inter-library loan system, I ordered Sayed Qutb's Milestones and the US Army's Improvised Munitions Handbook today from my local library. They had neither, and so an inter-library loan request was generated. If anyone is watching, that will have to match some keywords. Qutb is a radical Islamic knucklehead.

The reference librarian told me that inter-library loan requests go to the OCLC for processing. She was curious, too, whether the OCLC had been, as she put it, "compromised". I certainly hope that the answer is "no".

Either we live in a free country or we don't. If we don't, I expect a visit from the powers that be. If we do, then I expect to borrow some books I don't plan to read (although I'll probably glance through them).

See also Part 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment