Friday, July 01, 2005

Mea Culpa: Spotlight is Actually Useful

I have been pretty critical of Apple's Spotlight and still have some UI suggestions for its designers (such as increasing the amount of information shown about individual results), BUT I have found myself slipping into using it recently with much success.

I couldn't find a contract this morning. Spotlight reported it as its top hit. I couldn't locate an email message in the folder where I thought I filed it. Spotlight found it. I couldn't find a Web page I thought I had bookmarked. Spotlight found it without trouble. Wow.

There have been a couple of times when I failed to find what I was looking for with Spotlight, but I have to say that I am more efficient with it. I should be very relieved; Spotlight is metadata-based searching, after all. If Spotlight failed to work, then the whole SemWeb thing would be questionable.

Well done, Apple, and pay no (OK, "little") attention to my earlier criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment